Friday, February 1, 2013

When swimming with the sharks isn't so scary.

In 2008 Chris and I were married and honeymooned in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. On the plane ride there we met a couple that we chatted with during the flight, the guy was a retired baseball player and he was with his German girlfriend. We enjoyed conversation and parted ways but while walking around one afternoon we crossed paths again and after a few minutes of conversation they invited us to spend the day with them on their boat Marlin fishing. Well, my husband fell in love after he heard the word fishing and decided we were going. Me, not so much. I pulled Chris aside and reminded him of all the shows like 60 Minutes, Dateline, etc. that showed that these sort of situations never end well for young, adorable, traveling Americans. He convinced me that he wouldn't let anything happen to me and after a few cocktails at The Giggling Marlin I was sold!

We spent the day fishing, tanning, floating along the ocean and watching flying fish. I spent a lot of time with my very heavy smoker German friend. She would smoke and talk and smoke and talk and then start spouting off something in German that I didn't understand but at least it sounded fabulous! I watched my new husband fish and drive the boat like a pro - it was like watching a kid in a candy store and I was so happy he was so happy. It was a picture perfect day! After a several hours in the heat our new friend decided that it was time to stop the boat and go for a swim. My thoughts went to that place where I was convinced this was the part of the day they were going to tie us up and throw us in the ocean. Then I realized Chris could totally take him so that didn't worry me anymore. As soon as they had the chance they climbed to the top of the boat and jumped in the ocean. Now, I'm not too big into swimming in shark infested waters and I don't care what you say but every ocean is shark infested! I was so scared I did not want to go in and I had never swam in the ocean before, not to mention I am not, by any means a strong swimmer. I wasn't the only chicken by the way, Chris was just as scared and if he's scared then that meant I was really scared. He doesn't like the idea of sharks either! We were frozen by fear but also so envious of the fun our new friends were having and it was pretty darn hot out and that water looked so, so refreshing. We were in Mexico, on our honeymoon and on an adventure so after what felt like forever we both just decided to go for it, well Chris first actually, but after he went for it I did too and I jumped in the water!!! Alright, alright, it wasn't that glamorous. I climbed slowly down the ladder and slowly inched myself in with my new German friend shouting encouraging words in German That or she was cussing at me telling me what a baby I was, I'll never know but I'm gonna roll thinking she was encouraging me. The first few minutes I was freaking out and totally convinced I was going to be eaten by a shark but after a few more minutes it was so much fun! I was amazed at how warm the water was, how the ocean waves just kinda bop you around gently and how once I stopped being so tense it was actually really relaxing . I was grinning from ear to ear like a kid and I know that because we have pictures from that day and I look like a big cheeser.

That day I wondered how many other things I was missing out on in life due to my fear. Probably quite a bit. I decided that I would be more and more adventurous and that I didn't want to miss out on life. There are still some things I haven't yet overcame but I try to think back on that day in Cabo and remember how scared I was and how once I did it, I LOVED it! The best part is, I'm here today to tell the story and not in the belly of a shark.

Floating around in those big open waters kinda feels like life sometimes does. It was scary, a long way to shore and vulnerable with no footing. But I am reminded that God doesn't create feelings like worry or fear, those are feelings from the enemy. An enemy that wants you to live your live scared, hold you back, make you question you every move and I will not let that enemy have any power in my life. So, when life feels like a big open water and I don't feel like I have my footing I will not worry about the sharks in life, I will give those worries to God and let him be the one in control.

Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song

Remember that life is a big open water, but the Lord is your strength and shield so but your trust in Him and jump in!! Where can you put your trust in God in your life today and do something that you've been too scared to do because you are afriad of the shark?

No comments:

Post a Comment