Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Eating humility to be served up wisdom!

Today I had someone point out something about myself that isn't one of my better qualities. When they told me it was presented in a gentle way and I was approached with true care but even with that said, when I heard it - it hurt! It stung like a bee and honestly I am still feeling the sting from earlier today. That saying "the truth hurts" sure is true. But, that said, sometimes the truth is necessary to provide growth. I already knew what was said was true about myself before it was shared with me, but it took my flaw being pointed out by another person to really make me step back and look at that part of myself deeper.

As soon as I ended my conversation with the person that, by the way,  God placed in my life to tell me what He wanted me to hear (yes, it is all part of His bigger plan for me and part of my pruning process) I immediately remembered something that I read earlier this morning about humility providing wisdom. In that moment I chose to not be defensive but to take the moment and the ugly truth about yours truly as a way to grow. I doubt that tomorrow I will wake up and be totally perfect in that area of my life but I can promise I will pray about that part of me and ask God to do His work in my life. Just another mess in me for Him to clean up! :)

I actually am thankful for these moments of humility. I am thankful because it's evidence that God is working so hard in my life and he is pruning me and chopping off my ugly parts so I can bloom into something pretty beautiful. I am so excited to see what I am going to grow into even if it takes some moments along the way of being called out on my ugly parts. With my pruning and growth I am gaining wisdom. Some say hind sight is 20/20 but it's really a matter of reflecting, learning and getting better and wiser!

Next time someone tells you something that you really didn't want to hear, ask yourself if you NEEDED to hear it. Is it true? Are they right? Do you want to be better in that area? Take it as an opportunity to eat a little dose of humility to get a big serving of wisdom.

So here's the hard part of me - since I had that conversation this morning I have been beating myself up over it and shaming myself, but then I remembered that's just the enemy using this opportunity that God created to turn it into his evil twist. I stand firm in my faith and choose to not allow the enemy to turn God's work into his evil joy. So, I am allowing myself some grace and giving those feelings of shame and hurt to God and again, thanking Him for being so present in my life that I can feel His work being done within me. I am thankful for my relationship with Jesus and the fact that, the more I get to know Him the more I can see these situations clearly and actually thank Him for these opportunities to grow instead of blame Him.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.” – John 15:1-2




No comments:

Post a Comment