Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Punched in the gut

Ever been punched in the gut? You know what it's like to take the kind of blow and have the wind knocked out of you. You feel dizzy, like you can't breath but you have to remind yourself to and you've lost your bearings. But after a few moments you pull yourself together and you're okay again.

It doesn't just take a bar fight for that feeling because life can throw you punches too. And damnit, it hurts! Recently life punched me in the gut and for a minute and I couldn't breathe and I had to remind myself to take in a big deep breath. For a minute it hurt really, really bad. But each day it stings a little less and the aches are still there but I can still breathe and the pain isn't as bad as the initial shock of the sucker punch.

That's the thing about a sucker punch is you never know when it's gonna come. Funny they call it sucker punch which implies the person getting hit is the "sucker" but really the one throwing the punch is the real sucker. Only a "sucker" would hit someone so hard that it knocks them off their feet with no warning. A true fighter would set the date, put on their gloves and at least allow you the opportunity to brace yourself or fight back. But nope, suckers punch you out of the blue because they are the weak one.

Being knocked down only gives you the opportunity to get back up again. And when you're hurt, you're feeling weak and you just want to scream is the moment that shows your true character. Do you scream? Do you lay there and cry? Not me! I cowgirl up, get up, wipe the tears and move the hell on. I don't kick and scream but instead I take the hit and keep on keepin' on.

The truth is, there's no way to prepare yourself of life's punches in the gut. But you can build your character in a way that when you do get hit you don't stay down.

As for the punch in the gut I got...Let's say it was a cheap shot that I really didn't see coming and it f'ing hurt! But I'm back up on my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment