Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Who's responsible for your happiness? YOU!

People will constantly disappoint you but God never will. I believe in the good in people and that most people do not have the intention of hurting you but it's still bound to happen. Part of that reason is because we depend on others for our happiness. We are self-entitled individuals who feel like it's someone elses job to please us, care of us and make us happy. Ummm...NEGATIVE. We are the only ones in control of our happiness and it's a choice we have to make.

I will not allow anyone else to rob me of my joy! Sounds pretty amazing right? Well, easier said then done. Especially if you're like me and making other people happy is what makes you, yourself happy. I find so much joy is pleasing others. I love to make people laugh, I love to make people feel good about themselves, I love to make people happy! But I have to realize that just as someone isn't responsible for MY happiness - I am not with theirs either. If I am upsetting someone or hurting them it is their job to tell me, otherwise how am I supposed to know? Sorry....don't have a crystal ball here! I put so much pressure on myself to be responsible for other people and starting today I am done with that. I know that I am kind, I know that I am fun, I know that my heart is sincere and I know that I would never, ever, EVER intentionally say or do something to hurt someone or make them feel bad. So with that, I am no longer taking ownership for other peoples emotions. If someone perceives something I say or do in a way that upsets them then they should speak up. Because more often than not it's probably more about them and not me. And on the flip side - I need to be better at this myself. I need to not blame people for making me feel a certain way too.

As I said before, I am in charge of my own happiness. So what does that mean? It means that no person, including my dad, my family, a man, my kids, my friends are responsible for making this chick happy. I am! I get up each day and I have choices to make. What will I wear? How will I fix my hair? And most important - I am going to allow any person or situation to have the power over me to dictate my mood for that day? NOOOOO! I am empowered knowing that Christ lives in me and through Him I am strong and I can choose to be happy no matter what my circumstances are. This doesn't mean that I am not human and don't get mad, sad, or whatever. But I don't blame others. I allow myself to feel because that makes me real but I don't allow myself to fall. Feeling is a way to fully live life - through the joy, pain, or whatever but falling means you're knocked down and God doesn't want us to be knocked down, he wants us firmly planted on His truth that we are loved, forgiven and not forsaken.

Each day I drop my kiddos off and I tell them the same thing "have a good day and make it great and make good choices." That's right...MAKE IT GREAT. They have the ability to decide if they are having a great day or a bad day. Sure, things will come their way through the day that aren't good and do suck but you can either dwell, take it personal and fall apart or you can stand firm in your truth and continue on. You and I have choices to make in our day and the ability to allow others to have that sort of power over us but really, we are the ones with all the power! Our happiness is up to us and us only.

Be happy. It feels good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment